The movie ticket selling site Fandango.com has released the poll results gauging users’ interest for the upcoming year in film. In a cluttered year of blockbusters that includes a Marvel flick based on one of their most highly regarded comic books, the reboot of the DC universe, a sequel to Finding Nemo, and Matt Damon’s (The Martian) return to the Bourne franchise, the poll found that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is the most the most anticipated movie of 2016.
This is likely due in large part to Star Wars: The Force Awakens being the biggest movie of 2015 that recently passed all-time domestic box office totals for Avatar and Titanic. It’s unclear, however, how many of the survey’s participants realize that the film isn’t a sequel to The Force Awakens. The film will follow the crew of rebel soldiers – without the help of a Jedi – that led the mission to steal the plans to the first Death Star and spurred the opening events of Star Wars: A New Hope. If audiences haven’t caught on to this, then Disney’s marketing and PR teams have a tough task on their hands.
This spin-off film stars Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Diego Luna (Y Tu Mama Tambien), Mads Mikkelson (TV’s Hannibal), Alan Tudyk (Dodgeball), Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland), Ben Mendelsohn (Mississippi Grind), and Riz Ahmed (Nightcrawler) who came in second on the poll for Rising Male Star.
The survey also included Most Anticipated Actress which went to Melissa McCarthy (The Boss) for Ghostbusters, Most Anticipated Actor going to Damon for the fifth movie in the Bourne franchise, Rising Female Movie Star to Sophie Turner (HBO’s Game of Thrones) in X-Men: Apocalypse, Rising Male Star to Tom Holland (Locke) as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War, and Most Anticipated Comic Book Character debut going to Gal Gadot (Fast & Furious 6) as Wonder Woman in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.
It will be interesting to see how the results of the poll correlate with these films’ box office returns. You can see the poll results below.
Most Anticipated Movie:
1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
2. Finding Dory
3. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
5. Captain America: Civil War
8. X-Men: Apocalypse
10. The Jungle Book
Most Anticipated Actress:
1. Melissa McCarthy (Ghostbusters)
2. Scarlett Johansson (Captain America: Civil War)
3. Jennifer Lawrence (X-Men: Apocalypse)
Most Anticipated Actor:
1. Matt Damon (Untitled Jason Bourne Movie)
4. Ben Affleck (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
Rising Female Movie Star:
1. Sophie Turner (X-Men: Apocalypse)
2. Leslie Jones (Ghostbusters)
3. Karen Fukuhara (Suicide Squad)
4. Christina Wren (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
5. Nadia Hilker (The Divergent Series: Allegiant)
Rising Male Movie Star:
1. Tom Holland (Captain America: Civil War)
2. Riz Ahmed (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story)
3. Tye Sheridan (X-Men: Apocalypse)
5. Ed Speleers (Alice Through the Looking Glass)
Most Anticipated Comic Book Character Debuting in a Major Role:
1. Wonder Woman (Gal Godot in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice)
2. Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds in Deadpool)