Aquaman director James Wan has confirmed that stars Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga will return for upcoming horror sequel The Conjuring 3. The pair are reprising their roles as real-life paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, and while the third film promises to be different than anything the series has previously delivered, it will still be based on a true story.
As reported by Bloody Disgusting, the film’s plot involves a man on trial who claims that he was possessed by a demon while he committed a murder. “It’s this guy who was on trial for committing a murder,” Wan said. “I think it’s the first time in America’s history where the defendant used possessions as a reason, as an excuse.”
Wan emphasized that the Warrens are the heart and soul of the franchise, so having a plot that doesn’t revolve around their case files isn’t in the cards. “All the Conjuring films are based on the case files, so they’re more based on the true story aspect of the real life Warrens. I think that’s important. It’s important that the mothership stays true to the inspiration of the real people. The spinoffs are where we get to have more fun and do weird and wonderful crazy things. The mothership of it being the Conjuring films, we want it to come back to the real stuff.”
The spinoffs, Annabelle and recent hit The Nun, have carved their own niche in the horror movie pantheon. Another upcoming scare-fest is The Curse of La Llorona (click for the trailer), which is directed by Michael Chaves, who will direct The Conjuring 3. The young director impressed Wan enough to get the job. “He definitely did,” Wan said. “I feel like he’s this young up and coming filmmaker in this world. He’s a guy that understands how these films work. He’s really great working with actors and I feel like that’s something I want and need to work with, someone that people like Patrick and Vera would feel comfortable with.”
The Curse of La Llorona hits theaters on April 19, 2019, while The Conjuring 3 currently has no set release date.