The 25th Gotham Independent Film Awards took place tonight in New York City. Handed out by a panel of juries and hosted by the Independent Filmmaker Project (IFP), the Gothams honor the best in American independent cinema. They also signal the launch of the awards season- they are one of the first groups to announce nominations and give out prizes for the years’ best in cinema. Last year, Birdman won the top prize at the Gotham Awards- the eventually went on to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
This year, it was Tom McCarthy‘s critically acclaimed Spotlight that ruled the night, winning two prizes plus a special jury prize for performance by an ensemble cast. Spotlight, a film that centers around the Pulitzer Prize winning Boston Globe investigation of sex abuse in the Catholic Church, has overflowed with awards buzz since premiering at the fall festivals earlier this year. The film stars Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton and Rachel McAdams. Competing against Spotlight for Best Feature were Carol, The Diary of a Teenage Girl, Heaven Knows What and Tangerine.
Outside of Spotlight, the Gothams definitely went the less conventional route as British newcomer Bel Powley won Best Actress for her performance in the Sundance hit The Diary of a Teenage Girl. Perhaps even more surprisingly, Powley prevailed in stacked line-up included heavyweights like Cate Blanchett (for Carol), Brie Larson (for Room) and Lily Tomlin (for Grandma). Best Actor was awarded to Paul Dano for Love & Mercy– Dano portrayed Beach Boys legend Brian Wilson.
Check out the full list of winners below:
- BEST FEATURE: Spotlight
- BEST ACTOR: Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
- BEST ACTRESS: Bel Powley, The Diary of a Teenage Girl
- BEST DOCUMENTARY: The Look of Silence
- BEST SCREENPLAY: Spotlight– written by Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer
- BINGHAM RAY BREAKTHROUGH DIRECTOR: Jonas Carpigano, Mediterranea
- BREAKTHROUGH ACTOR: Mya Taylor, Tangerine
- SPECIAL JURY AWARD – ENSEMBLE PERFORMANCE: The cast of Spotlight (Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, John Slattery, Stanley Tucci, Brian d’Arcy James, Liev Schreiber, Billy Crudup)
- 1st GOTHAM APPRECIATION AWARD: Ellen Cotter (Angelika Film Center Theaters)
- AUDIENCE AWARD: Tangerine (directed by Sean Baker)
- CAREER TRIBUTES: Steve Golin, Todd Haynes, Helen Mirren, Robert Redford