Continuing this very busy week of guild announcements, here comes the say of the writers. The Writer’s Guild Awards (WGA) have announced their picks for the years’ best screenplays. The WGA offers three film categories- original and adapted (like the Oscars) as well as an award for screenplay of a documentary (unlike the Oscars). Due to the rules of the guild, many films fail to qualify each year (this years’ ineligible list includes The Hateful Eight, Room, Inside Out and Brooklyn) meaning that sometimes the eventual nominations came sometimes seemingly come out of nowhere.
That wasn’t so much the case this year (save for maybe Amy Schumer’s Trainwreck, which earned an nod). Other contenders include award mainstays Spotlight, The Big Short and Carol. Check out the full list of film nominees below.
- Bridge of Spies– Matt Charman, Ethan Coen, Joel Coen
- Sicario– Taylor Sheridan
- Spotlight– Josh Singer, Tom McCarthy
- Straight Outta Compton– Jonathan Herman, Andrea Berloff; story by S. Leigh Savidge, Alan Wenkus, Andrea Berloff
- Trainwreck– Amy Schumer
- The Big Short– Charles Randolph, Adam McKay
- Carol– Phyllis Nagy
- The Martian– Drew Goddard
- Steve Jobs– Aaron Sorkin
- Trumbo– John McNamara
- Being Canadian– Robert Cohen
- Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief– Alex Gibney
- Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck– Brett Morgan
- Prophet’s Prey– Amy Berg