Netflix original film The Unforgivable, starring Sandra Bullock, racked up a strong viewership in its first full week on Netflix. The film easily topped Nielsen’s movie streaming chart from December 13-19, bringing in a heft 556 million minutes of viewing time according to Nielsen. The film also won a spot on Nielsen’s list of the top 10 most-watched streaming films for the week, coming in at number 6.
Directed by Nora Fingscheidt, The Unforgivable is based on the 2009 British miniseries about a woman released into society after twenty years in prison.
Nielsen’s streaming ratings, usually delayed about a month, cover viewing on TV sets and don’t include content that is streamed on computers or mobile devices, applying the streams to the US only. Netflix itself has only recently begun releasing weekly viewership stats. Reporting that The Unforgivable was viewed a total of 74.4 million hours on a global basis in the same week.
As of January 11th, the film has been viewed a total of 215 million hours, making it one of the most popular Netflix films of all time. The film beat out Martin Scorsese’s The Irishman, with 214.7 million hours. Bullock’s own Bird Box held the number 1 spot with 282 million hours until the recent film Red Notice took its place with 364 million hours and Adam McKays’ Don’t Look Up at 321.5 million hours.
Nielsen’s top 10 streaming movies for the week of December 13 to 19 are below, via The Hollywood Reporter. Original films are marked with an asterisk. Ratings include Apple TV+, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime Video.
- The Unforgivable* (Netflix), 566 million minutes viewed
- Back to the Outback* (Netflix), 485 million minutes
- The Shack (Netflix), 398 million
- Home Alone (Disney), 363 million minutes
- Elf (Hulu), 340 million
- A California Christmas (Netflix), 261 million
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New New York (Disney+), 233 million
- A Boy Called Christmas (Netflix), 228 million
- The Santa Claus (Netflix), 215 million
- The Christmas Chronicles (Netflix), 206 million