Hollywood loves a sequel, even if they are thirty years apart. Tom Cruise’s second film as the daredevil U.S. pilot Lt. Pete “Maverick” Mitchell has the world in awe as it continues to soar high above its box office competitors.
In its second week of release, Top Gun: Maverick is enjoying its prolonged moment on top of the hill with an impressive $86 million. It is now ranking as one of the top ten best second weekends for any movie at the box office ever. Adding up the box office numbers of both the first and second weekend, the film has now generated a staggering $291 million, thus making it Tom Cruise’s highest-grossing film of his lengthy career.
The film has had such a positive reception on its first weekend by both critics and fans that its viewership barely dropped a 32% from its $160 million Memorial Day holiday weekend debut. To put it into perspective, both Spider-Man: No Way Home and Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness both dropped 67% on their second weekends. Robert Pattinson’s The Batman, for example, dropped 50% on its sophomore outing.
Maverick’s global tally is now up to $548 million, which is remarkable even for pre-pandemic times.
Here are the top 10 films at the box office this weekend:
1. Top Gun: Maverick ($86 million)
2. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ($9.25 million)
3. The Bob’s Burgers Movie ($4.5 million)
4. The Bad Guys ($3.34 million)
5. Downton Abbey: A New Era ($3 million)
6. Everything Everywhere All at Once ($2 million)
7. Vikram ($1.77 million)
8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ($1.73 million)
9. The Lost City ($1.38 million)
10. Crimes of the Future ($1.1 million)