The 2014 Savannah Film Festival begins on October 25th with a heavy focus on documentaries, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The fest, running through November 1st, is set to feature 8 docs that are drawing big Oscar buzz.The “Docs to Watch” component of the festival will feature Q&As based on a number of high-profile documentaries, including a session on Life Itself with Chazz Ebert, subject Roger Ebert’s widow, and Shep Gordon, whose life is chronicled in Mike Meyer’s Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon.
The other featured documentaries include:
- Documented from Pulitzer Prize winner Jose Antonio Vargas
- The Salt of the Earth by two time Oscar nominee Wim Wenders and Julian Riberio Saldano
- First time director Alan Hicks’ Keep on Keepin’ On from producer Quincy Jones
- John Maloof and Charlie Siskel’s biopic Finding Vivian Meier
- Red Army, from producer Gabe Polsky
- Robert Kenner’s Merchants of Doubt
In adition to the documentary section, the festival has more than 90 films set to screen, including such Oscar hopefuls as the Steve Carrell starrer Foxcatcher, and the highly anticipated Disney/Marvel collaboration Big Hero 6.