Yesterday afternoon The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced their shortlist for Documentary Short Subject contenders for the 89th Academy Awards. Narrowing the list down to ten for the time being, only five will receive nominations. The voters from the Academy’s Documentary Branch viewed all 61 eligible entries and their votes were tabulated by PricewaterhouseCoopers. This past year, A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness, took home the award.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- Brillo Box (3¢ Off), Brillo Box Documentary
- Close Ties, Munk Studio – Polish Filmmakers Association
- Extremis, f/8 Filmworks in association with Motto Pictures
- 4.1 Miles, University of California, Berkeley
- Frame 394, Compy Films
- Joe’s Violin, Lucky Two Productions
- The Mute’s House, The Jerusalem Sam Spiegel Film School
- The Other Side of Home, Feeln
- Watani: My Homeland, ITN Productions
- The White Helmets, Grain Media and Violet Films
Nominations for the 89th Oscars will be announced on Tuesday, January 24, 2017.
The 89th Oscars will be held on Sunday, February 26, 2017, at the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center, and will be televised live on the ABC Television Network at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT.
Check back with us for updates!