Disney CEO Bob Iger has announced that the company’s Star Wars franchise will take a break after the release of this year’s The Rise of Skywalker (out Dec. 20), according to a tweet from Variety Executive Editor Brent Lang.
Disney CEO Bob Iger says #StarWars feature films will go on "into a hiatus" following #RiseofSkywalker. Says there will be lots of activity on TV front, mentions 3 series in the works for #DisneyPlus.
— Brent Lang (@BrentALang) November 7, 2019
Following the poor critical and commercial performance of last year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story and polarizing responses to 2017’s The Last Jedi, the film series will reportedly take a hiatus, instead focusing on its television pursuits with new streaming service Disney+. Iger did not comment on how long the hiatus will last, nor what this means for the already announced release dates of future films, currently set for 2022, 2024, and 2026. What this 2022 film will be is still unknown.
For now, the future of the franchise seems to be rooted in television, specifically Disney+’s The Mandalorian, set to release with the platform on Nov. 12.