Sonic the Hedgehog 2 has finally been released in theaters and has been met with $71 million in earnings from 4,234 theaters domestically, an impressive stint for a video game film’s opening weekend. Michael Bay’s film Ambulance saw a less successful opening weekend earning just $8.7 million from 3,412 theaters domestically, behind Morbius and The Lost City.
Globally, Sonic 2 earned $141 million while Ambulance trailed behind with just $31 million.
Sonic the Hedgehog, the film’s predecessor, was released in 2020 as one of the last releases in theaters before the pandemic. The new film follows Sonic, voiced by Ben Schwartz, alongside James Marsden and Tika Sumpter as Tom and Maddie Wachowski. Jim Carrey also returns as the antagonistic Doctor Eggman. The film also sees newcomers Idris Elba as Knuckles and Colleen O’Shaughnessey as Tails, two characters from the Sega Sonic games.
Jake Gyllenhaal and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II star in Ambulance, an action-thriller following a veteran and his adopted brother as they execute a bank robbery to cover his wife’s medical bills. They use an ambulance in their escape which happens to have an injured cop and EMT and the brothers must navigate a high-speed chase while keeping their hostages alive. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Ambulance are showing in theaters now.
Here are the top 10 weekend films playing at the theater:
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Opening Weekend): 71 million
2. Morbius (Week Two) – Weekend Total: 10 million
3. The Lost City (Week Three) – Weekend Total: 9 million
4. Ambulance (Opening Weekend): 8.7 million
5. The Batman (Week Six) – Weekend Total: 6 million
6. Everything Everywhere All at Once (Week Three) – Weekend Total: 6 million
7. Uncharted (Week Eight) – Weekend Total: 2 million
8. Spider-Man: No Way Home (Week 17) – Weekend Total: 625 thousand
9. Selena (Re-Release) – Weekend Total: 402 thousand
10. Sing 2 (Week 16) – Weekend Total: 220 thousand