Continuing a major week of guild nominations, this morning brought the list from the Costume Designers Guild. Celebrating the best achievements in costume design for the 2016, the feature film nominations offer an eclectic mix of awards season fixtures (La La Land, Lion, Jackie), a few interesting nods (Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie, Captain Fantastic) and one historic bid. History came in that Deborah Cook’s designs for Laika’s stop-motion animated feature Kubo and the Two Strings earned a nomination in the Fantasy Film cateogry, the first time an animated feature has been nominated in the Costume Designer Guild’s 19-year history. No animated feature has received in an Oscar nomination for Best Costume Design – could Kubo be the first?
Check out the full list of Costume Designer Guild nominations. The guild has three categories – Contemporary Film, Period Film and Fantasy Film – in order to fully celebrate the achievements of the craft.
EXCELLENCE IN CONTEMPORARY FILM
- Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie – Rebecca Hale
- Captain Fantastic – Courtney Hoffman
- La La Land – Mary Zophres
- Lion – Cappi Ireland
- Nocturnal Animals – Arianne Phillips
EXCELLENCE IN PERIOD FILM
- The Dressmaker – Marion Boyce, Margot Wilson
- Florence Foster Jenkins – Consolata Boyle
- Hail, Caesar! – Mary Zophres
- Hidden Figures – Renee Ehrlich Kalfus
- Jackie – Madeline Fontaine
EXCELLENCE IN FANTASY FILM
- Doctor Strange – Alexander Byrne
- Fantastice Beasts and Where to Find Them – Colleen Atwood
- Kubo and the Two Strings – Deborah Cook
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Colleen Atwood
- Rogue One: A Star Wars: Story – David Crossman, Glyn Dillion
Awards will be handed out on February 21st.