Family films led the Box Office in a quiet weekend before Marvel’s long-awaited blockbuster Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness hits theaters on May 6. Universal and Dreamworks Animation’s animated feature The Bad Guys stayed at number 1 in its second weekend outing with a total of $16.1 million, falling 33 percent of last weekend’s gross, according to TheHollywoodReporter. The PG pic has grossed a domestic total of $44.4 million and $118.7 million worldwide.
Another animated family feature Sonic the Hedgehog 2 stayed at number 2 in its fourth weekend with $11.4 million to add to its successful run with the film grossing $160.9 million domestically for Paramount.
Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore grossed $8.3 million in its third outing for a measly domestic total of $79.6 million.
Robert Eggers’ historical-fantasy The Northman fell 48 percent in its sophomore outing to come into number 4 with $6.1 million for a domestic tally of $21.8 million.
A24’s sleeper hit Everything Everywhere All at Once was actually up 2 percent this weekend, grossing $5.5 million from more than 2,200 theaters for a domestic cume of $25.5 million.
The only wide-release this weekend was Liam Neeson’s latest action flic Memory. The indie film about a aging hitman with early onset dementia only managed to gross $3.1 million, coming in at number 8.
The lull at the box office will come to an end with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness ringing in the summer blockbuster season.
Here are the top 10 weekend films playing at the theater:
1. The Bad Guys (Week Two): 16 million
2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Week Four) – Weekend Total: 11.4 million
3. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (Week Three) – Weekend Total: 8.3 million
4. The Northman (Week Two): 6.3 million
5. Everything Everywhere All at Once (Weekend Six) – Weekend Total: 5.5 million
6. The Lost City (Week Six) – Weekend Total: 3.9 million
7. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (Week Two) – Weekend Total: 3.9 million
8. Memory (Opening Weekend) – Weekend Total: 3.1 million
9. Father Stu (Week Three) – Weekend Total: 2.2 million
10. Morbius (Week Five) – Weekend Total: 1.5 million