Awards season continues. We’ve now heard from the critics, the Golden Globes and are in full swing of the industry portion of the 2016 kudofest. It’s been a busy week on that front as producers (Producers Guild of America) and sound mixers (Cinema Audio Society) have weighed in their choices for the best of 2016 and today comes the cinematographers. The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) have announced their nominations for the year’s best achievement in cinematography. Their selection offer a clue as to what films may well be in contention for the Best Cinematography Oscar.
The nominees are:
- Arrival – Bradford Young, ASC
- La La Land – Linus Sandgren, FSF
- Lion – Greig Fraser, ASC, ACS
- Moonlight – James Laxton
- Silence – Rodrigo Prieto, ASC, AMC
The ASC also announced the nominees for the Spotlight Award, which was created to honor the directors of photography in feature films exhibited through the art house, film festivals or throughout international cinema. The nominees are:
- Children of a Leader – Lol Crawley, BSC
- House of Others – Gorka Gomez Andreu, AEC
- Mon Ange (My Angel) – Jullette van Dormael
- Tempestad – Ernesto Pardo
The winners will be announced on February 4th.